New GIVE Line on Etsy Aids Syrian Refugee Children

This week I debuted my "GIVE" line on Etsy. Simply, it's a collection of products that give back to people in need. Currently I'm using it to raise funds which will be turned over to World Vision's efforts to help children affected by the Syrian refugee crisis. I was able to generate a lot of interest in the GIVE line, but I also want to make sure anyone who supports this effort is well informed.

 
Why GIVE?

Like a lot of you, I've been reading about the events surrounding the Syrian refugee crisis and been at a loss for what to do. How can I help people on the other side of the world when I'm just one person of little importance? But I kept thinking about this: What if that was me? What if I were in trouble and need, what would I hope that someone would do for me? That's when I knew I needed to do something, even if it was small, just one thing to help someone else.

I started brainstorming and came up with the idea for the GIVE line. I wanted to make some different products I could sell in my Etsy shop to raise money. I also thought it would be a beautiful reminder for shoppers of the help that their purchase had given.


Why World Vision?


First and foremost, I know World Vision is a trustworthy organization. Throughout my growing up years and into adulthood, my family sponsored several children through World Vision. I've had a connection to the organization for decades. Second, World Vision is focused on the children affected by the Syrian refugee crisis. No matter what your stance is on the issues abroad, I think we can all agree that children are victims in the situation, whether through accidents or exploitation. They deserve and need our help.

I can't imagine being immersed in such a situation while trying to ensure my child's safety and well-being. An organization like World Vision would be a Godsend and a welcomed relief in the midst of uncertainty, hunger, danger, and extreme need.

World Vision's website states the following:
Displaced Syrian families lack adequate shelter, clothing, food, and basic supplies. World Vision has scaled up our response to the crisis, and your help is needed more than ever. Without increased humanitarian aid to Syria and border countries, more refugees will flow into Europe. We must help refugees and internally displaced people, half of whom are children, by giving them the vital resources they need to keep children safe, healthy, and secure. Please pray for these children, and give a gift to help Syrian families today.
What goes to World Vision from each purchase?

The entire profit from each purchase will be given to World Vision specifically for the Syrian refugee crisis. Profit is the entire listed price of the item. Shipping costs are not subtracted from the listed price, they are separate and are added on to the total at the time of checkout. I am not subtracting the cost of time or materials from the purchase price, so the entire amount will be going to World Vision. If you buy an item listed at $20, $20 will be given to World Vision.

World Vision lists online what certain amounts can accomplish:
  • $15 can provide a blanket to a refugee.
  • $50 can provide a refugee with food for one month.
  • $55 can provide a family with clean, safe water using a water filter.
  • $100 can help provide a learning program for refugee children, preparing them for school.
  • $250 can help establish a safe space for children to play and begin healing from trauma.
  • $325 can provide newly-arrived refugees with the basics they need to survive their first month.
  • $3,875 can keep a Child-Friendly Space running for one month, providing a safe place for 120 children to play.

In order to guarantee that the correct amount is given based on what is purchased, I will post screenshots and numbers to this blog at the time of submission. My hope is to submit the total profits from the sale of all GIVE items at one time, with a goal of that time being at the end of this month (or by October 1). If I don't sell all of the items in the GIVE line, they will remain in the shop for a period of four months from the listed date, at which time they will expire. If they are purchased before expiration and after October 1, profits will be submitted as soon as they are received so that they can benefit children as quickly as possible.


Why should you give?

I think it's up to each person to ask and answer that question on their own. But, I also hope that I can help others find a way to get involved if they aren't sure what to do. Sometimes it can seem daunting when a need is so vast. It can be hard to sort out what to do, where to give resources, who to trust. Through GIVE, I hope to partner with others for a common goal, that together we may work toward changing the world for one child at a time. Alone we can go fast, but together we can go far.

Will you join me in helping children? Please consider purchasing an item from the GIVE line at elmcreativedesigns.etsy.com.

Comments

Popular Posts